Whether your small group will be brand new in 2019 or you have been meeting for awhile, a good icebreaker question or activity is a great way to get the conversation going at that first meeting in January. Icebreakers help everyone in the group feel more comfortable about entering the discussion before the Bible study starts. You can see our 2018 list here.
Here are a few more of my favorites.
Pass a bag of M&M’s around and tell everyone to take a few. Then, before they eat them ask them to share something for every M&M. For example, something about their family for every red one, something about their plans for the future for every green one, etc.
Pass out 3-5 sticky notes to each person in the group. Instruct group members to write one life catalyst that helped make them who they are today on each sticky note. It can be the name of an influential person or a life event. Then have each person share their sticky notes with the rest of the group as they stick them on a wall or on a large poster board.
My Life in Pictures
Bring a newspaper or magazine. Have each person tear out a picture, article or anything they think tells something about themselves. If there’s enough time they can make a collage that tells more about themselves.
Most Used Emoji
Ask group members to share their most used emoji and why they like it. As a bonus, have them show the the group the emoji on their phone.
Get To Know You Questions
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
- When you die, what do you want to be remembered for?
- Describe your past week in weather terms. (Was it stormy, cloudy, foggy, mostly sunny…)
- What is your favorite item you’ve bought this year?
- What is your absolute dream job?
- What would the title of your autobiography be?
- Say you’re independently wealthy and don’t have to work, what would you do with your time?
- If you had to delete all but 3 apps from your smartphone, which ones would you keep?
- Who is your favorite Disney hero or heroine? Would you trade places with them?
- Are you a morning or night person?
- If you could add anyone to Mount Rushmore who would it be; why?
- What fictional family would you be a member of?
I like to know more like 5 members in a group, ( only in zoom meetings), what kind of the ice breaker game that can play . Thank you very much.
Hey Lee! Here is a list of ice-breakers that you can play (good for more times than just new years). These should work well, even over Zoom! Find the list at this other posts posted on our Groups blog: https://groupministry.lifeway.com/2019/12/25/the-best-icebreakers-to-start-the-new-year-2/