Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 36:14 — 49.9MB) | Embed
On this episode of Group Answers, Chris and Brian talk to Trevin Wax about discipleship trends.
Trevin Wax is Director for Bibles and Reference at Lifeway Christian Resources and a visiting professor at Wheaton College. He is the general editor of The Gospel Project, and the author of recent books This Is Our Time, Eschatological Discipleship, and Gospel Centered Teaching.
- What is multi-directional leadership? Why is this important not only for church leaders, but for group leaders as well?
- In a groups context, what is the fallout of the apparent increase of polarization in our current climate?
- There is a growing generational divide in how best to express our loyalty to God and our loyalty to our country. What are the takeaways as you have engaged both our culture and the church in this regard?
- We all agree that community is essential and relationships are crucial for both the examined and the disciple’s life. So why are we so enamored with exploring a deserted island and what does this have to say about us?
- What are some trends that you can share with us about Bible engagement?
- What advice would you give group leaders about discipleship based on what you’ve learned over the last year?
- A one-directional leader only looks in one direction for danger. A multi-directional leader knows that there are multiple ways in which danger might encroach upon a flock.
- Social media exacerbates and polarizes so much of our discourse.
- What group leaders have is an opportunity to actually speak truth to a small group of people.
- Know the group you have and push in the direction they would be least likely to go.
- Scripture speaks to a bigger variety of issues than our political parties do.
- A lot of older Evangelicals see America as Israel, and a lot of younger Evangelicals see America as Babylon.
- In life, you are thrown into a family you didn’t choose, and you have to make do.
- You can’t know a hundred people really well, but you can know ten people.
- How do people in our groups see the narrative of their lives?
This Episode’s Sponsor: With Ministry Grid’s library of over 3,000 training videos, it’s now simpler than ever to train every volunteer and leader in your church. And this is training you can trust. Each Ministry Gridvideo features an experienced ministry leader who has been where you are now. Learn how to get unlimited access for you and your church at MinistryGrid.com.
The Group Answers Podcast is a weekly show designed to resource, train, and encourage small group leaders. Each episode considers current trends and resources as well as timeless truths and methods of discipleship. It is hosted by Brian Daniel, a Bible study and discipleship expert in Lifeway’s Groups Ministry, and Chris Surratt, the small group and discipleship specialist at Lifeway and author of Leading Small Groups.
Leave a Comment: